Friday, September 19, 2014

Riley's Kentucky IRONMAN 2014 - The Run

On the third and final leg of the Ironman, we caught up with Riley as he took a break from running to walk a bit of this 26.2 mile run. By this point in the day, the car thermometer read 95 degrees. We told Riley it was only in the 80's.

It was hot.

I think he's telling us he's hot.

Volunteers set out cool wet sponges for the participants to snatch as they passed by and also handed out beverages.

Sometimes it helps to make new friends along the way and walk and talk together to take your mind off what you're doing.

Like a 140.6 mile Ironman.

To those of you who watched the race on your computer: do you remember when Riley crossed the finish line and then turned around as if he was going to go back? He was looking for his friend above to congratulate him, but at some point they got separated and I'm not sure if they ever met up again.

Remember this picture from that post? This was the day before the race where Riley was getting all his stuff in order and filling these bags accordingly.

This was one of the spots along the run where he could pick up one of his bags which may contain additional food, etc.

Lots of spectators!

We could see them cross the finish line on a big screen.

As the night progressed, the streets got crowded as we all waited for the arrival of our heroes.

Yes, that is the back of Steve with the camo hat on.

Riley wouldn't recognize his dad if he wasn't wearing something camo.

And just under 15 hours later, Riley came across the finish line!!

He has his Ironman medal around his neck!

The volunteer is directing him and making sure he's okay.

A great finish!

Wearing the Ironman hats Riley's older brother, Steven, had made for us with Ironman and Riley's name embroidered on the side.

They were made at the store.

Steven doesn't embroider.

Hi Steven!

Steven is laid up these days as he had a rod removed from the bone of his leg this past week. He suffered a compound fracture during a motocross race, oh, some 13 years ago I believe it was. The rod was giving him trouble.

Now he'll be able to get through airport security faster!

Ok, where was I...

The following day, Riley got out of bed all on his own and was ready to go sightseeing! Aside from the huge blisters on his feet, he felt pretty good but wanted to keep walking and stair climbing to a minimum.

We looked for cool things to do.



So we took a ride on a tram through a cavern underneath Louisville.

It was really cold.

We visited a distillery.

Had dinner alongside the Ohio River where Riley ordered...

...this MASSIVE hamburger and got himself a t-shirt for finishing the WHOLE thing.

He gave the t-shirt to his dad.

No, it wasn't camo.

He wants his dad to experiment with colors.

Congratulations, Riley, on your HUGE accomplishment and on finishing this burger!


Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment for Ri. It seems almost impossible to do all that. Awesome. The burger looks impossible also to finish. Thanks for the great blog . we enjoy reading them. Thanks

Debi said...

Thanks! Appreciate hearing from you!