Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Fine Fishin' Day!



Out of the blue a very dear friend called and asked us if we would like to go fishing on the St. Mary's River and Lake Huron...BOY, did we! So we hopped into the car and an hour later Hubby and I arrived in Detour Village, Michigan. Across the river from Detour Village is Drummond Island. You have to take a ferry to get there. But we didn't take the ferry this time...




We went in a fishing boat in search of Lake Trout and King Salmon.


The St. Mary's River connects Lake Superior to Lake Huron. It is a major part of the shipping lanes. Here is just one of many freighters we saw pass us by.


The Detour Reef Lighthouse sits at the mouth of the St. Marys River. Once you pass the lighthouse, you are on Lake Huron...


...and still in the shipping lanes!

All in all, it was a gorgeous day. Hubby caught the first fish. His second got away. I had an average size Laker up to the boat, but I hesitated, and poof, he got off and swam away. My second fish was a King, and boy, did he give me a run for my money. Very exciting. But I didn't even get him halfway to the boat, and he decided he'd had enough fun with me and let go. We had a few more hits after that, but nothing made its way all the way INTO the boat. Then all went quiet and we were forced to just sit there, on the peaceful flat water, sun shining all around us, seagulls screeching a quick hello as they flew by, freighters gliding by...and wait.


Just so you know I really WAS in the boat!


Another freighter


Hubby's catch of the day!


Maybe next time I'll be showing one off too?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)