Sunday, December 8, 2013

Gobble, Gobble Made Easy!


I know Thanksgiving Day has come and gone, but I wanted to share with you something different I tried this year. At the time when I went turkey shopping, I thought we would be having Thanksgiving dinner at our log cabin on the river. But then way later I was informed by my son that the Lions vs. the Packers football game would be on TV at 12:30 pm (and there is no TV reception at the log cabin - what was I thinking?) and we had to have the game on during dinner time and at 12:30 pm so the guys could veg-out after dinner and then go out at 3:00 pm to hunt. (They need time to digest after all.)

First, I picked out a 14# Butterball (ALWAYS a Butterball!) turkey for $14.00 (98 cents a pound at Walmart), put it in the cart and proceeded down the aisle. Then I saw this bagged turkey. Hmmm...I thought. That sure would make preparation a ton easier at the log cabin. 

Steve walked up behind me and asked me what I was holding. 

"This bird is all set to go in the oven,"  I said. "No fuss, no muss."  

He said, "Give it a try." 

I quickly put the 14# turkey back and put this 12# turkey for $21 into my cart. It was worth $7 more for my time and inconvenience with limited space, right?


The instructions were so easy and no need to thaw! No need to wash this guy, pat it dry, remove the giblets after you push the sleeves of your robe way up to your shoulders, slice celery and onions (if you're following the recipe on the turkey bag box), put it in the turkey bag, tie the twisty, slice slits in the top of the bag, then look one more time at the weight of the turkey and how long it should be in the oven while doing the math in my sleepy head. 

No, the directions said just take it out of the bag and put it in the oven. I can do that!



It even came with gravy.


Preheat oven to 375 and cook 3 to 4.5 hours.


Insert thermometer and remove the turkey from oven when temp gets to 170. 
Let set for 20 minutes then carve it up.

My honest opinion?
It was very moist just like all Butterball turkeys are. However, I took it out a bit too soon (my thermometer may need to be replaced) so the dark meat wasn't as done as I would have liked it. Also, I'm a spice girl and I missed all the stuff I normally put inside my turkey and under the skin. But that's just me. The guys liked it, too, but missed the crispy skin my turkey usually has (I'm sure it WOULD have been crispier if I had left it in the oven longer). It is perfect if you want to make the show stopper of the Thanksgiving meal look like you fussed all morning, but only you and Mr. Gobble know how many extra cups of coffee you sipped while wrapped up in your robe in the easy chair.

I give it ***** (five) asterisks with five being excellent.

(Does anyone know how to make stars on a keyboard?)

Hey, maybe you'll want to try it for Christmas!
If you do, let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)