Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lots of Snow - For Now!

This past weekend was a classic winter weekend. We weren't able to put on the snowshoes because we were too busy doing other snow activities, but soon we hope, providing the weather cooperates. Until then, we've been walking the road/snowmobile trail with the dogs.




On Thursday it snowed all day!


That meant it was time to groom the trails again.


On Friday, it was Steve's turn to groom, and I got to come along and take pictures.




Grooming the trail along M-123 into Trout Lake.



Us in the groomer... It takes about 6 hours to complete the 56 mile round trip from Rudyard to Trout Lake and back.



On Saturday, we got on our snowmobiles. Sometimes we stayed on the groom trails, 
and other times we went on the back trails.


See how beautiful the trail is and the blue sky?

Right now it is 33 degrees on our thermometer. The wind is gradually picking up. The trees are involuntarily throwing off their thick white coats. We are under a Freezing Rain Advisory overnight. That's no fun. Then rain turning to snow later in the day. We sure hope this doesn't affect our snow amount too much.


Changing the subject...
I've been feeding the birds suet cakes, suet from the butcher, mixed bird seed, and striped sunflower seeds. This past week I picked up a bag of black sunflower seeds. This enticed new birds to the neighborhood and I am thrilled. Usually I have my regular feeders of Downy Woodpeckers, those wonderful fluffy fearless Chickadees, Nuthatches, and, of course, Mr. & Mrs. Dove. My new customers are Pine Grosbeaks!



I say they are a rosy color. Steve says they are red.
I looked the Pine Grosbeak up on the internet and officially 
they are described as "rosy-red".
I guess we both win!


Have a colorful week everyone!

“Life is a big canvas, throw all the paint on it you can.” . . . Danny Kaye














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)